It Starts With You
I don’t know about you but I find spiritual growth and leadership development to be challenging. I say that as someone that has been recruiting and leading people professionally for the past 15 years. My point in saying that is that if my occupation is focused on recruiting and developing leaders and it is difficult for me, how much more so is it for those whom work a full time job and work on leading others in their spare time. It is difficult.
I've found that part of the challenge of leading others is the internal spiritual battle of leading yourself, then from there leading your family members. If we as leaders of a church are focusing on spending time at the feet of Jesus, listening to the Holy Spirit and growing in our spiritual walk it will (I promise it will) have impact in our family life first then in our ministries then in our church as a whole. It has to start with us individually as we seek God. We have to lead our own hearts in the daily battle toward loving Jesus before we can ask our families to follow us as we follow Christ. We have to model homes that are committed to Christ before we can lead people in the church.
About six months ago, I read an article that encouraged believers to take a moment to ask themselves a few different questions regarding personal spiritual health. I thought were very challenging and helpful to think about so I thought I’d share them with you. These are not questions I want answers for; these are just questions for you to ask yourself with the Lord. My only encouragement to you would be to follow His leading.
The questions are:
- Are you reading the bible daily?
- Are you praying daily?
- How often have you shared the gospel this year?
- Are you faithfully fighting sin in your life?
- What scriptures have you memorized this year?
- Are you serving faithfully in a local church?
- Are you exhibiting the work of the flesh or the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:19-23)?
- Who is walking more with God because of your influence this year?
- What steps have you taken to spread the gospel to the nations?
- How would your family assess you as a family member and believer this year?
If you’d like to read the full article you can find it here.
I invite you to join me on the journey of humbling myself before the Lord and thanking Him for the work he is doing in my life, in my family’s life and in the ministry he’s given me to lead.