It's a New Year! Do Something...
I’m not sure if you made a New Year’s resolution or not but for the longest time I've resolved to not make resolutions. Instead I like to set goals. Now, I know some people may read this and say “that’s semantics” but for whatever reason It’s a big deal to me.
Here is the difference. A “Resolution” is a formal expression/determination of an opinion or an intention made which should inform a set of actions. Essentially it is a deep rooted conviction. This conviction is supposed to lead to someone changing their behavior. The problem with New Year’s resolutions are that people make these “resolutions” based on a tradition they don’t understand and end up coming up with “convictions/resolutions” they don’t really have. A “Goal” is an achievement which a person’s effort is directed. This is different from a resolution because though it may revolve around a conviction or set of convictions it is not a conviction itself.
I’m all about setting and achieving goals and I think that when its appropriate a person should make new resolutions. Overall I think it is important to set out to achieve something every year and celebrate those achievements when they've been accomplished. Here are a few questions to consider:
Reflecting on Last Year:
- What resolutions or goals did you make last year? How did you do with them?
- Did you physically write out your goals last year?
- What stuck? Why?
- What risks did you take? Did they work for you?
- In what ways do you feel like you are a better person?
- How did you pour your life into others?
- How did you change the world?
Thinking about This Year:
- Did you make any New Years resolutions? If so what are they?
- What are the New Years resolutions you have made over the years that have stuck with you?
- What is the difference between a goal and a resolution?
- Have you written your goals and/or resolutions down on paper?
- If you haven’t come up with any goals or resolutions take some time and think of some, this may include goals that are:
- What risks will you take?
- How will you seek to grow as a person?
- How will you pour your life into others?
- How will you change the world?